We love a good mashup, and this iconic Vietnamese street food sandwich with French influence is precisely that. It basically originated as France’s classic crusty bread, ham & butter sando, adapted and viewed through the lens of Vietnamese flavors and ingredients.
Naturally, countless variations exist, but a few components are considered “musts.” For one, a crusty roll to hold all your fillings (bánh mì literally translates to “bread,” after all). Two, some kind of protein(s)- we’ve set you up with ham and decadent pork belly (swoon). And then of course your condiments: Mayo (savory hoisin mayo, in this case), pickled & fresh veggies (we’ve got daikon, carrot and cuke bringing the crunch), and fresh herbs (cool mint and fragrant cilantro). And there you have it! We hope you think our spin on this sensational sando is all that and a bag of chips 😉
What’s in your bag:
- Crusty roll
- Braised pork belly, sliced ham, hoisin mayo & pickled veggies
- Cucumber, cilantro & mint
- Green papaya & mango slaw
- Chili lime vinaigrette
- Potato chips
What you’ll need from home:
- Aluminum foil-lined sheet tray
- Cutting board & bread knife
Total prep time: 12-15 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Drizzle a little olive oil on one side of your sheet tray, and lay the pork belly on top. Pop it in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Once the 5 minutes are up, carefully place your roll halves (open face! aka cut-side up) on the other side of the sheet tray. Heat for 5-7 more minutes, or until the pork belly is hot and the bread is nice and toasty!
- Ok Fam, it’s sando assembly time! First, spread that hoisin mayo on both sides of your roll.
- Next, layer your ham on the bottom half of the roll, followed by your pork belly.
- Arrange the pickled veggies evenly over the pork belly. Then, place your cucumber slices on top. Finally, add your cilantro & mint!
- Pop the other half of the roll on top and smoosh it down a little. Cut your sando in half if you like 🙂
The Slaw & Vinaigrette
- Add your green papaya & mango slaw to a mixing bowl, and drizzle the chili lime vinaigrette all over.
- Toss, toss, toss!
Plate up your sando with the potato chips and slaw on the side. Chow down and let these bright, fresh flavors help you bask in the summer sunshine!
That’s it! #Dinnersolved, dinner served.
Show us how you WECO!