Alright Fam, since you’ve been BEGGING us for another history lesson before you prep yourself din din… 😉
A long, long time ago in Munich, Germany, (AKA 1810) Prince Ludwig (AKA soon-to-be King Ludwig I) married Princess Therese, and their marriage celebration was an absolute paaaaarty. There was even a horse race! Wish we caught the invite. This became an annual tradition and combined with an agricultural fair. Yes, peeps, that’s when the tasty eats get involved! And the drinks. Yenno, those giant mugs of beer?
This spread is our version of an Oktoberfest-inspired feast, featuring BRATS! Dip this beer braised German sausage in ya caramelized onion mustard, and maybe even your mashed taters too. It’s all about building the perfect bite, peeps! Poached veg and cabbage too? Heck yeah 🙂
What’s in your bag:
- Beer braised bratwursts
- Poached carrots, celery root, leeks + pearl onions
- Rustic potatoes mashed with green onion butter, kale + garlic cream
- Cider braised cabbage + sauerkraut with pickled mustard seed
- Caramelized onion mustard
What you’ll need from home:
- Saute pan
- Olive oil
- 2 casserole dishes
Total prep time: 15 minutes
- Drizzle a little olive oil on a saute pan and heat over medium heat.
- When the pan is warm, grab your tongs and place the brats on their sides in the pan.
- These brats are already cooked, so we just wanna sear ‘em ‘til they’re golden brown in color and warmed through, around 2-3 minutes on both sides.
- When you’re ready to serve, you can slice ‘em up!
The Poached Veggies, Rustic Mashed Potatoes, and Cabbage + Sauerkraut
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Dollop the potatoes on one side of your first casserole dish. Arrange the poached veggies evenly on the other side.
- Heat in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
- While the potatoes and poached veggies are in the oven, arrange your cabbage + sauerkraut evenly in the second casserole dish.
- After 5-7 minutes, pop your cabbage + sauerkraut in the oven next to the other casserole dish of potatoes and poached veggies. Give the potatoes a little stir to ensure they heat evenly.
- Heat everything for another 5-7 minutes.
- Remove carefully from the oven.
Place a scoop of your potatoes in the center of your plate and then your brats on top. Poached veggies and cabbage can go on either side. Don’t forget your mustard for dippin’ 🙂
And that’s it! Dinner solved, dinner served. #weareWECO