It’s taco time. And if you’ve got a cat, it’s tacocat time. (That was mostly an excuse to say tacocat because it’s a very fun palindrome we love…) Okay, back to taco time. Birria tacos are back and it’s been a minute! Have you been pining for these week after week like we have? Cus we have. If you’re new to birria, birria is a traditional Mexican stew made from goat or beef (ours is beef) and these tacos are a spin on that classic dish. That birria jus, or braising liquid, is the secret to juicy, tasty tacos and we wouldn’t want it any other way. Alright Fam, fire up your stove, it’s taco time for real!
What’s in your bag:
-Braised shredded beef
-Yummy birria jus
-Fire-roasted squash + peppers (sourced from Applefield Farm!)
-Saffron + tomato rice
-Baked pinto beans
-Cotija, salsa verde, pickled red onions + lime
What you’ll need from home:
-2 microwave safe bowls
Total prep time: 10-12 minutes
The Beef and Birria Jus
- Add the beef and birria jus to a saucepan and heat over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until warmed through.
The Rice and Beans
- Pour the beans into a microwave safe bowl and heat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. Do the same with the rice, except drizzle a teaspoon or two of water over it before microwaving!
The Fire-Roasted Squash + Peppers, Tortillas and Cotija
- Heat the squash + peppers with a tablespoon of olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat until warm. Remove from the pan and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Wipe out your sauté pan and heat over medium heat.
- Place your tortillas on there for 10 seconds. With your tongs, flip each tortilla once soft and pliable.
- Sprinkle some cotija on each tortilla, and leave them in the saute pan for another 10 seconds.
- Slide the tortillas from the pan onto a plate.
- Use your tongs to add a portion of the warmed beef to each taco. Make sure to save some jus for dipping!
- Top each taco with salsa verde, pickled red onion, and a squeeze of lime.
- Pour your leftover jus from the beef in a small bowl.
We’d recommend enjoying your rice, beans, squash + peppers on the side, you can even combine them into the same bowl! Grab your tacos and dip them in the bowl of leftover jus. Enjoy!
And that’s it! Dinner solved, dinner served. #weareWECO