Happy Cinco de Mayo to those who celebrate, Fam! A little background for those unfamiliar—this holiday commemorates the Battle of Puebla, a symbolic win for the Mexican army during the Franco-Mexican war, and while not widely celebrated in Mexico, has become a celebration of Mexican culture and history in the United States. Alright, now, we know these tacos are on your mind, (ours too!) so what’s the story with these? Birria is a traditional stew made from goat or beef (ours is beef) and these tacos are a spin on the classic dish. That birria jus, or braising liquid, is the secret to juicy, tasty tacos and we wouldn’t want it any other way. Alright Fam, fire up your stove, it’s taco time!
What’s in your bag:
-Braised shredded beef
-Saffron + tomato rice
-Baked pinto beans
-Pickled red onions + lime
-Yummy birria jus
What you’ll need from home:
-2 microwave safe bowls
Total prep time: 10-12 minutes
The Beef and Birria Jus
- Heat the beef and birria jus in a saucepan over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes or until warmed through.
The Rice and Beans
- Pour the rice into a microwave safe bowl. Drizzle a teaspoon or two of water over it. Heat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the beans into the other microwave safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.
The Tortillas and Cotija
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat.
- Place your tortillas on there for 10 seconds. With your tongs, flip each tortilla once soft and pliable.
- Sprinkle some cotija on each tortilla, and leave them in the saute pan for another 10 seconds.
- Slide the tortillas from the pan onto a plate.
- Use your tongs to add a portion of the warmed beef to each taco. Make sure to save some jus for dipping!
- Top each taco with salsa verde, pickled red onion, and a squeeze of lime.
- Pour your leftover jus from the beef in a small bowl.
We’d recommend enjoying your rice and beans on the side, you can even combine them into the same bowl! Grab your tacos and dip them in the bowl of leftover jus. Enjoy!
Peep our awesome team member JP chatting about these birria tacos! bit.ly/WECObirria
And that’s it! Dinner solved, dinner served. #weareWECO