While the rest of us were working on perfecting our instant ramen cooking skills in college, Chef Matt was practicing his bucatini carbonara game. He and his friends were on a mission to get it juuuuuust right: Sourcing expert tips and getting together every week to come up with the ultimate version. Yup. Every. Dang. Week. As he recalls, “It was the first time I really remember being proud of cooking and sharing it with others.”
Awwwww. That makes us feel as warm and fuzzy inside as this bowl of bucatini. Seriously, is there anything more comforting and blissful than fresh pasta smothered in a luscious, creamy, bacon-and-black-peppery sauce? Not that comes to mind. Thanks, Chef Matt, we think you nailed it 😉
What’s in your bag:
- Deano’s fresh bucatini
- Carbonara sauce with pancetta & egg yolks
- Crispy Parmesan crumble
- Mixed greens & sherry vinaigrette
What you’ll need from home:
- Large pot & strainer
- Mixing bowl
Total prep time: 10 minutes
The Bucatini & Sauce
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, then drop in the bucatini and give it a stir.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes, then test a strand for doneness. (We like it al dente, with a little chew!)
- Reserve about ½ cup pasta water and strain.
- Add your bucatini back into the emptied pot with the carbonara sauce, plus a splash or two of pasta water. Set the heat to low.
- Using your tongs, stir & toss it all together for 2-3 minutes, or until warmed through to your liking. Gentle heat is the name of the game here! Too hot and those egg yolks can scramble.
- If your sauce is looking a little thick, add a splash or two more of pasta water to reach desired consistency.
- Take a taste of your saucy noods. Season with some salt and a couple cracks of black pepper if you like!
- Add your salad to a bowl, drizzle in the vinaigrette and toss, toss, toss. Add S&P as desired!
Use your tongs to grab a bundle of that bucatini. As you lower the pasta into the bowl, give it a spin or rotate the tongs to form a little bucatini nest. Sprinkle your Parm crumble over the top. Salad goes on the side. Enjoy, Fam 🙂
That’s it! #Dinnersolved, dinner served.
Show us how you WECO!