A wise (wo)man once said tacos are best served on a Tuesday. And then everyone in the universe really bought into that alliteration and paid homage to Mexican cuisine on the second week day of every week, and will ‘til the end of time. We at WECO like to break the mold for most things, but when it comes to taco Tuesday — and carnitas specifically — there’s really no reason to reinvent the wheel and/or taco. So here we are with this beloved Fam Fave, complete with rice, homemade salsa verde and of course, Mrs. Chips’ crunchy creations. And let’s not skip over the beans, though. We love beans. These have been soaked overnight, poached with some coconut and tons of aromatics. They’re sweet, salty and a little spicy for ya. Let’s eat!
What’s in your bag:
-Saffron + paprika rice
-Roasted tomatillo salsa verde
-Mrs. Chips’ chips
What you’ll need from home:
-Sheet pan + aluminum foil
-Oil or butter
-Dish towel (we said what we said! You’ll see 🙂 )
Total prep time: 10-12 minutes
- Set your oven to a medium/high broil.
- On a sheet tray lined with aluminum foil, spread the carnitas in an even layer.
- Place under the broiler and let it ride for 3-4 minutes. The fat and juices will render and bubble, and some caramelization should occur — this is good!
- Give the carnitas a stir/flip exposing the non-crispy bits.
- Broil for 2-3 more minutes until nice and hot.
- Grab a nonstick pan and add a little butter or oil.
- Scoop in the rice from the container, breaking up any clumps with the back of the spoon. Stir it around so everything snaps, crackles and pops. Once everything is fragrant and hot, you’re good.
- Warm them in a saucepot over medium heat for ~5 minutes, stirring until they come to a simmer. Done!
- Char them over an open flame for 5-10 seconds on each side. Stack them up under a warm and slightly damp dish towel to keep them hot. Let them steam a bit.
Okay, we’re ready to assemble your tacos. Start with a tortilla and layer it with carnitas and salsa verde – if you’re feeling crazy, jam in some chips for the crunch! Ladle rice + beans onto your plate plus a handful of chips and enjoy your Tuesday feast.
That’s it! Dinner solved, dinner served. #weareWECO