Dan dan noodles are a classic street food dish whose origins can be traced to Chinese Szechuan cuisine, and we are so totally stoked to share our version with you tonight! These aren’t just any noods, though, puffed tofu is involved and there’s also a gingery-garlicky coconut sauce to coat your noods in. The Korean red pepper flake + cashew crumble is what changes the game, bringing just the right amount of fiery kick (go light at first!) and salty crunch (from the cashews!) You’ll start light, but by the end of the meal, you’ll want to sprinkle it on everything. Nood time 🙂
What’s in your bag:
- Fresh lo mein noodles
- Puffed tofu + ground pork with snap peas, bean sprouts, + pea leaves
- Szechuan coconut sauce
- Korean red pepper flake + cashew shallot crumble
- Smashed cucumber shiso salad
What you’ll need from home:
- Large pot
Total prep time: 10-15 minutes
The Lo Mein Noodles
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil. (Salty water is good nood water!)
- Drop in the noodles and let them cook for 90 seconds. Take a bite and test for doneness, they should have a slight chew 🙂
- Strain your noodles and toss with a light drizzle of olive oil to prevent clumping. Set your noodles aside, we’ll come back to them soon!
The Tofu + Pork + Veggies and Szechuan Coconut Sauce
- Drizzle a little olive oil in your saucepan and set it over medium-low heat.
- Add your tofu + pork + veggies to your warmed pan and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Time to add in your noodles! Stir it up and mix it all together to make sure everything is well incorporated.
- Let’s get your Szechuan coconut sauce in on the action. Start by pouring some into your pan with the rest of your goodies, and stir for 3-4 minutes or until everything is heated through. Want it super saucy? Add more!
- Grab a shallow bowl for serving. Arrange your finished noodles in the bowl and top with a spoonful of your Korean red pepper flake + cashew crumble.
- Serve your smashed cuke-shishito salad cold on the side!
- Slurp it up and enjoy 🙂
That’s it! Dinner solved, dinner served. #weareWECO