What happens when cinnamon, fennel seed, star anise, cloves, and (usually) Szechuan peppercorns come together in beautiful, tasty harmony? You get the internationally renowned, platinum album-selling pop group FIVE SPICE. They’re savory. They’re spicy. They’re a little bit earthy. And most importantly, they taste fantastic infused in this braised beef shoulder this eve. So we’ll tell ya what you want, what you really really want. You wanna-ah, you wanna-ah, you wanna-ah, you wanna-ah, you wanna really really really wanna zig-a-zig EAT THIS FIVE SPICE BRAISED BEEF.
What’s in your bag:
- Braised beef
- Green beans
- Crispy ginger rice
- Cucumber + mint salad
- Green onion + chive pancakes
What you’ll need from home:
- Oven safe casserole dish with high edges
- Aluminum foil
- Microwave safe bowl (optional)
- Saute pan
- Aluminum foil-lined pan
Total prep time: 15 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Place the beef in an oven safe casserole dish, being sure to include any juices that might be left! Cover with aluminum foil.
- Pop your pan in the oven. Set a timer for 12-14 minutes.
- When it dings, double check the beef, it should be heated through! If it needs a few more minutes, place it back in the oven.
- Remove from the oven carefully, leaving any liquid behind.
The Chive + Onion Pancakes
- Pop them on your foil lined pan and toss them in the oven with the beef for the last 3-4 minutes. A toaster works too!
The Green Beans
- Toss in a saute pan with a light drizzle of olive oil
- Saute until heated through, around 3-5 minutes.
The Crispy Ginger Rice
Two options here:
- Over high heat, set a saute pan with 1 tbsp of oil. Add the rice and toss it as it crackles and pops. Add a splash of water. Toss once more till nice and hot.
- Place in a microwave safe bowl, add a teaspoon of water, and heat for 2 minutes.
Cucumber + Mint Salad
- Nothing! Cold is definitely the way to go.
Place each item on your plate, and don’t worry if they touch! We know that can be scary sometimes, but all the flavors work together to create something beautiful 🙂
That’s it! Dinner solved, dinner served. #weareWECO