There are labors of love, and then there’s our hot coal chicken. There’s a whole lotta love in this dinner tonight, peeps. Let’s hit the rewind button: we marinated the chicken in a harissa blend for 12 whole stinkin’ hours! Next we roasted it, and once that was finished we began the coal charred fun. After making sure the coals were reeaaaaaaally hot (like, really hot) we placed the chicken on a metal rack and placed it over the coals. This is where your chicken got its beautiful roasty toasty coloring. We love a good spatchcock chicken, and this one might just take the cake (shhhh… don’t tell BBQ spatchcock!) Turn on your oven, turn on your stove, it’s hot coal chicken time 🙂
What’s in your bag:
- Harissa marinated and coal charred spatchcock chicken
- Avocado aioli
- Sweet + spicy miso-roasted eggplant
- Bamboo sticky rice
- Shaved cucumber + blistered shishito salad
- Hibiscus vinaigrette
What you’ll need from home:
- Sheet tray with aluminum foil
- Optional: your grill
- Small saucepan
- Microwave safe bowl
Total prep time: 15 minutes
The Chicken – Two options! Grilling or broiling.
To bake + broil:
- Set your oven to 400F. Place chicken, skin side up, on a foil lined sheet tray.
- Pop it in for 8-10 minutes
- Then set your oven to low broiler.
- Move the tray up under the broiler and broil for 3-4 minutes ‘til the skin is crispy.
To grill (for you adventurous types):
- Place the chicken skin side up on the hottest part of the grill. Grill for 3 minutes.
- Once you’ve got some good char marks, flip to the skin side and leave it for another 3 minutes.
- Flip again, let it sit for another 2-3 minutes.
- One more flip for about a minute, then done!
- In a small saucepan, toss the eggplant in and heat on medium heat until warm, around 5 minutes.
The Bamboo Sticky Rice
- We’re going microwave! Scoop the rice into a microwave safe bowl.
- Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for 2-3 minutes.
The Shaved Cucumber Salad + Hibiscus Vinaigrette
- Toss the salad and the vinaigrette in a bowl. Mix it up!
Your chicken should take center stage on your plate, and you can surround it with the other sides. The avocado aioli can go on the chicken… or really, anything!
That’s it! Dinner solved, dinner served. #weareWECO