Fun fact: Did you know that this iconic French salad did not actually originate as a salad? Believe it or not, it’s first form was as a sandwich! A combination of fresh tomatoes, canned anchovies, olive oil, and crusty bread known as pan bagnat.
The sandwich and its salad sibling are still popular today–especially in their native home of Nice, in the French Riviera–and have continued to evolve with various creative iterations. Our spin on the classic subs the usual canned tuna with lightly seared fennel & coriander-dusted tuna. Enjoy it cold or slightly warmed– your call! Bon appétit!
Total prep time: 5 minutes
What’s in your bag:
- Fennel & coriander-dusted seared tuna
- Mixed greens & lemon-garlic green beans
- Cucumbers & red onions
- Niçoise potatoes, hard-boiled egg, cherry tomato & olive relish, lemon-anchovy dressing
What you’ll need from home:
- Cutting board & sharp chef’s knife
- Nonstick pan (optional)
- Mixing bowl
Option #1 (cold):
Grab your tuna and place it on the cutting board! Using your nice sharp knife, slice the tuna into half-inch thick slices.
Option #2 (warm):
Grab your tuna! Toss it on a nonstick pan with a little bit of oil, and heat on medium-high for 1 minute on each side (top and bottom). We don’t want to cook this all the way through, the middle should still be pink.
Once done, place the warmed on your cutting board and slice into half inch-thick slices with your sharp knife.
- Pop your lettuce and green beans in a bowl and top with your Niçoise potatoes, cherry tomato & olive relish, cucumbers and red onions and hard-boiled egg (Pro tip: Chop your egg into smaller pieces if you want it more evenly distributed throughout the salad).
- Drizzle your lemon-anchovy dressing on top and toss until everything is nicely coated.
- Taste and season with salt & pepper as desired.
- Arrange your seared tuna on top and add a little more dressing if you like!
See the salad? Eat the salad. Enjoy the salad.
Crush the salad. Start looking forward to your next dinner date with the salad. Fin.
That’s it! #Dinnersolved, dinner served.
Show us how you WECO!