Now what on earth is fricassee? Well, it’s a fancy French word for stew, of course! FYI, if you love The Little Mermaid like we do, fricassee is mentioned in the song “Under the Sea” …and of course now that you know that, you’re required to sing the whole song while stirring your polenta. Belting tunes makes the polenta heat up faster, it’s science. Ok, back to the fricassee: your fricassee tonight is an umami packed blend of oyster and maitake mushroomies (as Chef Matt calls them) with carrots, celery, onion, a smidge of dijon, coriander, and thyme. The fricassee and polenta are total partners in crime and pair together perfectly, kinda like Ariel and Flounder 🙂
What’s in your bag:
- Roasted mushroom fricassee with sherry, cream, + thyme
- Super creamy cheesy truffle polenta
- Roasted Brussels sprouts
- Smoked black pepper ricotta
What you’ll need from home:
- 2 saute pans
- Salt + pepper
- Aluminum foil-lined sheet tray
Total prep time: 15 minutes
The Roasted Mushroom Fricassee
- Place a saute pan over medium heat and saute mushroom fricassee for 3-5 minutes or until warmed through.
- Grab your other saute pan. For every portion of polenta you ordered, add a quarter cup of water, and if you’d like, a pat or two of butter. Bring it all to a simmer.
- Once you’ve got a good simmer goin’, add the polenta. Break up the clumps with the back of a spoon, and stir until nice and smooth. Slowly add more water as needed until the polenta reaches your desired, creamy consistency.
- Let your polenta get nice and hot, (don’t stop stirring!) then taste and season with salt and pepper to your liking. The more water you used, the more salt and pep you might need. Don’t skip this step!
The Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Set your oven to high broil. On an aluminum foil-lined sheet tray arrange your Brussels evenly and broil for 2-3 minutes just until warm.
Ok, grab a shallow bowl! First, polenta. Second, mushroom fricassee on top. Third, a black pepper ricotta dollop on the tippy-top. Brussels? On the side, Fam!
That’s it! Dinner solved, dinner served. #weareWECO