Forrest’s friend Bubba had it right and always will—“shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it […]” AND you can toss it on grits for an absolutely scrumptious and Bubba-worthy dinner! Crazy enough, this southern staple was actually first enjoyed as a breakfast dish (which we think is like the smartest thing ever, who wouldn’t want this savory, shrimpy bowl to start the day??) The most amazing part of our WECO-ized version is that it’s light and dairy free (bless you, coconut milk) with a hint of butternut flavor for, well, pizzazz (insert jazz hands here). You could have probably predicted this by now, but if you have any leftovers tomorrow morning…add a fried egg and…viola!!!
What’s in your bag:
- Jumbo shrimp
- Creamy white corn polenta grits
- Roasted asparagus
What you’ll need from home:
- 2 saucepans
- Salt + pepper
- Aluminum foil-lined sheet tray
Total prep time: 15 minutes
Heat the shrimp in a saute pan with a tablespoon of water over medium for about 2-3 minutes or until warmed through.
Place on an aluminum foil lined sheet tray and heat in your oven at 350F for 5-7 minutes.
- Grab a small saute pan. For every portion of grits you ordered, add 2 tbsp water, and if you’d like, 1 pat of butter (so if you got 2, it would be 3 tbsp and 2 pats of butter. Ya know, math!) Bring it all to a simmer.
- Once you’ve got a good simmer, add the grits. Break them up with the back of a spoon, and stir until nice and smooth. Add more water as needed to thin it out.
- Over medium heat, stir until the grits are bubbly, about 3-5 minutes. Once it’s hot, taste and season!
Spoon your grits into a shallow bowl. Top with your shrimp! Asparagus can go on the side, though we aren’t opposed to adding it on your grits, too. Enjoy your fruit of the sea!
That’s it! Dinner solved, dinner served. #weareWECO