Thanks to Bubba Blue in Forrest Gump, the verdict is in. Thursday’s call for good shrimp, and good shrimp calls for good grits. The good thing is, we’ve got both. The grits tonight are a savory, cheesy blend with ricotta, cheddar, Parmesan… shall we go on? The grits will serve as a base for your shrimp and blistered-tomato-based broth. Braised collards + rainbow Swiss chard are also making an appearance, (there’s a leeeetle bit of brown sugar in those for another layer of flavor!) and the okra + onions are a homemade pickled treat for our pickle people. Of all the ways Bubba likes to enjoy shrimp, this one might be our fave. Hope you love it too, Fam 🙂
What’s in your bag:
- Shrimp in a smoked tomato saffron broth
- Stone ground cheddar grits with black pepper
- Braised collards + rainbow Swiss chard with pearl onions
- Pickled okra + onions
What you’ll need from home:
- Saute pan
- Salt + pepper
Total prep time: 15 minutes
The Braised Collards + Rainbow Swiss Chard
- Warm your greens in a saute pan over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until warmed through.
- Grab a plate, transfer your greens to the plate leaving excess liquid behind, and cover to keep warm for now! Wash out your saute pan, you’ll need it for the shrimpies…
- In the same pan you used for the greens, pour your shrimp and broth in and warm over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes or until warmed through.
- Grab a small saucepan. For every portion of grits you ordered, add a quarter cup of water and a couple pats of butter. Bring it all to a simmer.
- Once you’ve got a good simmer, add the grits. Break them up with the back of a spoon, and stir until nice and smooth. Add more water as needed to thin it out.
- You might need more water than you think! Slow and steady wins the race, peeps. Add in a bit, then stir. Add a bit more, then stir some more.
- Over medium heat, keep stirring until the grits are bubbly, about 3-5 minutes. Once it’s hot, taste and season with salt and pepper! The amount of water you added will impact the amount of s + p you use!
Grab a shallow bowl and spoon your grits in there. Make a little divet for your shrimp on top! Collards can go on the side with your okra. It’s chow-o’clock, get to it!
That’s it! Dinner solved, dinner served. #weareWECO