Ok first things first, gyro. It’s a tough word to pronounce, kind of like “Worcester” to non-Massachusetts folks (“wooster” not “wor-chest-her” LOL!) You pronounce gyro like “yee-ro”—similar to “hero” but with a “y” at the front. Gyros are a Greek dish served on pita, generally filled with pork, beef, or lamb. Speaking of fun words, there’s also baba ganoush on tap this eve (“baa-baa-ga-noosh”) which is definitely a challenge (but fun!) to say a few times fast. Baba ganoush is an eggplant based spread perfect for dipping your flatbread in. YUM. Hoping this Mediterranean-inspired dish tonight takes you on a quick mental vacation. You’re the hero with a gyro!
What’s in your bag:
- Shaved sirloin steak
- Dill + lemon tzatziki
- Baba ganoush
- Cucumber + tomato salad
- Toasted farro
What you’ll need from home:
- Sheet tray with aluminum foil
- Olive oil
- Saute pan
- Microwave (optional)
Total prep time: 10-15 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Drizzle a little bit of olive oil onto your aluminum foil-lined sheet tray and place the steak mixture on the tray. Leave room for the flatbread if you’re heating the flatbread in the oven.
- Heat for around 8-10 minutes or until warmed through.
Option #1: Place your flatbread on your sheet tray when there is 3-4 minutes left on your steak timer. Take out when steak is done.
Option #2: Place in the microwave for 10-20 seconds (err on the side of less) or until warmed through.
- Drizzle some olive oil in a saute pan and turn on medium heat.
- When the oil is glistening, toss the farro in, stir, and heat for 3-5 minutes or until warmed through.
The Cucumber + Tomato Salad and Baba Ganoush
- Best served cold or at room temp!
Grab a plate and assemble your gyro! There are a few ways you can go about this. You can assemble your flatbreads like a wrap, spreading the tzatziki on and placing the steak on top. Tomato + cucumber salad can go on there too. Farro salad goes on the side. You can also enjoy each component on your plate individually and take the flatbread and dip it in the tzatziki and baba ganoush. Up to you, as always!
That’s it! Dinner solved, dinner served. #weareWECO