Did someone say FAM FAVE NUMBER TWO!? Here it is, here you are, and nothing could be better. Here at WECO a braised short rib is not just a braised short rib. We call it a shorty. Why? Because it’s more fun that way. Who said so? Us. Speaking of fun, we had a ton of that whilst cooking your shorties. We braised ‘em— which means we seared the boneless shorties first, then let them stew for a long-ass time. For reference, a long-ass time in this case is FOUR hours! We also took spices (coriander, fennel seed, star anise) and tied them up in cheesecloth sachets so all their flavors infused into the beef, without leaving the seeds behind. Labors of love, peeps. Just for you. Now the rest? An easy peasy reheat. We’ll get to that on the next page 😉
What’s in your bag:
- Short rib
- Braising liquid
- Roasted broccolette
- Toasted farro, oyster mushrooms, cherries + herbs
- Truffle red wine bordelaise
What you’ll need from home:
- Saute pan
- Microwave safe bowl
- Salt + pepper
- Aluminum foil-lined sheet tray
Total prep time: 15 minutes
The Short Rib + Braising Liquid
- Place a medium saucepan on the stove over medium heat and pour in the braising liquid. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the short rib to the pot and turn the heat down to low-medium. There should be enough liquid to cover the bottom half of the short rib. This depends on the size of your saucepan, so add a splash of water if it needs more to reach halfway.
- Cover your saucepan with a lid. Set a timer for 3 minutes, flip the shorty over, and heat for another 3 min.
- After a total of 6 minutes, remove the lid and poke the short rib. When it’s tender and hot, you’re all done!
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Arrange your broccolette evenly on your sheet tray and place in the oven for 7-9 min or until warmed through.
The Toasted Farro
- Grab your saute pan, add a light drizzle of oil and heat over medium heat.
- Toss your farro in and saute for 3-5 minutes or until roasty toasty!
- Heat in a microwave-safe bowl for 1-2 mins until hot.
Plate it up by spooning the farro onto the center of your plate, placing the shorty on top with a drizzle of bordelaise, and the broccolette alongside it. Grab your fork and devour!
That’s it! Dinner solved, dinner served. #weareWECO