“Hello? Yes, this is summer calling. I’m trying to reach the WECO Fam—they asked for warm weather and good vibes so I spoke with my BFF Chef Matt about creating this crazy-good cod dish to send some summer-in-a-bowl their way. I hope they LOVE it!”
That’s exactly what summer said when they called the WECO kitchen yesterday…we swear by it. It’s the perfect time of year for fresh, local seafood and we COULD NOT be more ready. You’ll warm your cod in the white bean, fennel + sundried tomato stew so it stays moist and full of flavor. We like to start the process with our bacon lardons (a fancy term for bacon bits LOL) so their salty-sweetness adds to the stew. Not feelin’ bacon? Don’t add it! No worries, boss!
What’s in your bag:
- New England roasted cod
- White bean, fennel + sundried tomato stew
- Walden Local Meat Co. bacon lardons
- Baby bok choy
What you’ll need from home:
- Aluminum foil-lined sheet tray
- Oven-safe saute pan with high sides (cast iron preferable)
- Tongs or spatula
- Cutting board
- Salt and pepper
Total prep time: 15 minutes
The Cod, Stew, and Chorizo
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Add your bacon lardons to a saute pan and heat over low-medium heat, stirring occasionally until crispy.
- Slowly pour your stew into the saute pan, stir, and bring to a low simmer. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When lightly simmering, nestle your cod skin side up in the middle of the stew.
- Once the cod is safe and sound in your stew, place the entire saute pan in the oven for 7-9 minutes.
- Once the 7-9 minutes are up, remove your pan carefully from the oven. Using a spatula, carefully pick up your cod from the stew and place it on a cutting board for 2-3 minutes to rest.
The Baby Bok Choy
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Arrange your baby bok choy on an aluminum foil-lined sheet tray and place the tray in the oven for 4-6 minutes.
- Remove carefully from the oven!
Take a shallow bowl and carefully spoon some of your stew in there. Place your cod on top, baby bok choy can go on a side plate. If you like to eat fish skin, go for it! If it’s not your cup of tea, no problemo!
That’s it! Dinner solved, dinner served. #weareWECO